EXPERIENCE THE TASTES OF BIG CEDAR CULINARY AT HOME
APPLE BEET SALAD WITH MARINATED SALMON
- 8 oz Feta cheese
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs of oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp fennel fronds
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cup olive oil
- Cut feta into cubes, about 1/4 inch in size.
- Layer feta in a jar, alternating with the herbs and fennel fronds, placing the crushed garlic in the middle of the jar.
- Pour the lemon juice over the top and then add the olive oil to cover
- Seal or cover the jar and place in the refrigerator overnight or up to 3 days. The oil will solidify so take out and let sit for 1 hour before serving.
- Will keep for up to 4 weeks under refrigeration.
- 4 salmon filets, 6oz portions
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 tsp thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp sea salt or kosher salt
- Whisk together all ingredients except the salmon.
- Place salmon fillets in a gallon zip lock bag and pour marinade into the bag and seal. Toss salmon around to be completely coated.
- Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes and no more than an hour.
- Cook to preferred temperature.
- Set aside to cool while mixing salad.
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp hot water
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp chervil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 tsp sea salt or kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Rub minced garlic into a paste with the sea salt.
- Combine garlic paste, shallots, Dijon mustard and vinegar in a small mixing bowl and whisk vigorously.
- Add the hot water and the sugar and while whisking, add the olive oil in a slow stream. Continue Whisking until the dressing has emulsified.
- Stir in the Chervil. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary with additional salt and black pepper.
- Serve Immediately.
Apple Beet Salad
- 4 cups spring mix
- 2 beets, roasted
- 1 Granny Smith apple or equivalent
- 1/3 cup candied walnuts
- 3 oz maritanted Feta cheese (recipe below)
- 1 fresh fennel, shave with fronds reserved
- 1/2 cup red wine vinaigrette
- 4 salmon filets, marinated (recipe below)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil or other cooking oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Roast the beets until tender and cut into pieces.
- Core the apple and cut into thin sticks.
- Candy or roast the walnuts.
- Shave the Fennel bulb as thin as possible using a mandolin slicer if possible.
- In a cast-iron skillet or another suitable pan, heat the olive oil on medium-high heat.
- Season the salmon generously with salt and pepper (or to your taste).
- Cook skin side down for 6-8 minutes. Use a fish spatula to flip the salmon and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes depending on preference for doneness.
- Let the salmon rest while you build your salad.
- Toss the greens, beets, apples, fennel and feta cheese together with the 3/4 of the vinaigrette. Split into four bowls. Place the salmon to the side or atop of the lettuce mix. Garnish with additional feta, candied walnuts and drizzle the remaining dressing around the plate.